Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Joseph

I've been visiting Sight & Sound Theatres since 1987, when I first saw Behold the Lamb. I believe I've seen every show they have staged since the mid 1990s. Their most ambitious undertaking yet is Joseph. When we arrived, we were greeted by an enormous cake baked by Charm City Cakes in Baltimore and transported to Lancaster County the previous Friday night. I had seen photos, thanks to my friend at the CVB and a newscast on Fox43. The cake is a dulce de leche version of one of the Pharaoh statue set-pieces. It weighs over 150 lbs. and stands over 5 feet tall.

We saw the play on a Wednesday, and the auditorium was less than 1/4 full (which actually made it more enjoyable). The play had premiered the previous Friday night, so this was around the 5th performance. The performance was excellent, the cast was efficient and everything seemed to go off without a hitch. Joshua Keefer, the actor who plays Joseph, does a tremendous job. The sets were enormous and magnificent and the stunts were great. Joseph is a very emotional and powerful story of forgiveness and it definitely brought some tears to my eyes. Definitely check it out if you are visiting Lancaster County.

No comments: