Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Emilio's in Staunton

My wife and I had our 10th wedding anniversary dinner at Emilio's in downtown Staunton back in January and we ate there again this past week. Emilio's serves excellent, traditional Italian cuisine. As you walk in you are warmly greeted by owner Emilio Amato who will then assist in finding you a seat. The restaurant utilizes the entire building, is multi-floored, and has five nicely appointed serving rooms and The Pompei Lounge. On my first visit to Emilio's, a night that had a wind chill factor of 5, I had an excellent entree of butternut squash ravioli served in a sage cream sauce and a Caesar salad. My wife had the best manicotti either of us have ever tasted. You are also served bread, and butter is available, but we went with the olive oil already on the table. For dessert I had a fabulous toscanella and my wife had an outstanding tiramisu. Emilio's has an extensive dessert menu with many desserts you don't see all that often. They also feature a vast wine menu, but I didn't partake on either visit.

On my second visit we sat in one of the upper level dining rooms. I ordered a terrific entree of gnocchi alla bolognese and a Caesar salad and my wife had an exceptionally creamy fettucini Alfredo. The Gnocchi was incredible and the meat sauce was out of this world. I'm typically not one for meat sauces, but this one was beyond excellent. For dessert I had the torta crema Italiano and my wife had a very tasty cannoli. We had a wonderful server named Laura who was very attentive and answered any questions about the menu that we had. On our first visit to Emilio's we also had excellent service; I'm sorry that the name of the gentleman who served us escapes me.

I've eaten in several great Italian restaurants over the years and my two visits prove to me that Emilio's can stand toe-to-toe with any of them.

No comments: