Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Staunton's Darjeeling Cafe

Friends and regular readers of this blog know that my wife and I have an affinity for taking tea. So, when my friend Jack Morgan suggested I stop in an see him at The Darjeeling Cafe I was all too eager. The Darjeeling Cafe is located on Beverly Street, on the edge of Newtown and not far from George Bowers. It is eclectically decorated with comfortable furniture and features a nice outdoor seating area. The Darjeeling Cafe will be moving deeper into the Red Brick District, near the American Shakespeare Center's Blackfriars Playhouse this summer.

The Darjeeling Cafe has a great variety of teas from regions across the globe. I'm particularly fond of fruit teas, oolongs, assam, rooibos, parlor/Victorian style, and herbal blends. My absolute favorites are plum/cinnamon flavors and owner Mary Beth Harris suggested I try a plum tea that she sells. It was an excellent recommendation. It was a great pot of tea and no sweetener was necessary. My wife was feeling sick on her stomach and Mary Beth suggested an iced mint tea that really made her feel better and gave her a second wind for the rest of the day. The Darjeeling Cafe is one of those places where you sit back, start conversing with someone, and before you know it 2 hours has passed. It just has one of those nice, relaxed, eclectic Bohemian atmospheres. It's a wonderful alternative/complement to Staunton's coffee shops (which are excellent in their own right), because sometimes you just want a nice cup of tea. The Cafe also offers meals, but I was still over stuffed from my meal at Shenandoah Pizza and my wife wasn't ready for food, so we passed on the food. I've heard good things about Mary Beth's food offerings from some Staunton friends, so I definitely look forward to trying some next time we visit.

2 comments:

Cafe Confidential said...

Thank you so much, Adrian! It was so nice to meet you and your lovely wife. I look forward to seeing you the next time you are in town.

Jack Morgan said...

It was really great seeing you guys.