Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The newly reopened Darjeeling Cafe

Mary Beth and Jack Morgan have recently reopened the Darjeeling Cafe in Staunton after a little over a year. They moved from their former location (which is now occupied by George Bowers Grocery-another great place for a tasty sandwich and specialty groceries and beers) to a more central location downtown. The new space appears unassuming from the street but I was blown away by how great it looked inside with a spacious dining room featuring padded, comfortable blue chairs at the tables, a bar seating area, and a lounging area.

The day I was there was pretty hot and humid so I ordered an African rooibos mint iced tea on Jack's suggestion. I'm not a huge rooibos fan, but this one was great, with more of the mint and less of the harshness and smoke taste that I've encountered in most rooibos teas that I've tried. For my meal I selected the Fawn Thai (again at Jack's suggestion) with herbed orzo on the side. The Fawn Thai featured tofu, Thai peanut sauce, lettuce, and julienned carrots on toasted wheat bread. I'm very open minded when it comes to food, so the fact that it had tofu didn't bother me in the least and I'm really glad I tried the sandwich- it's one of the best sandwiches I've ever had. All the flavors blended together perfectly. I would highly recommend trying it whenever it's on the menu. My server was also quite helpful, efficient, and a nice fellow.

I look forward to going back to try some other items and sample some different teas, especially when I have a little more time to kick back. I'm very glad that the Darjeeling Cafe is back and it expands the possibilities for a diverse lunch downtown.

No comments: